Here it is! I have searched the net and tested and tried and I think I have come up with an awesome recipe for Lactation Cookies…
I have recently given birth to my 3rd child. Having successfully breastfed my other two babies and even pumped when I went back to work with no problem. I was expecting that the third time around would be a breeze…however this was not quite the case.
At around 7 months pregnant I noticed that instead of feeling like my boobs were getting ready for feeding and doubling in size, they became smaller than usual and felt ‘deflated’. This continued until the birth and even after a few days when my milk came in they still felt empty!
Josie, my new baby, was frantically feeding which is pretty normal for a newborn but there just didn’t seem to be enough milk! So I started pumping. And from the first session I pumped for 15 minutes and got a total of 20 mls from both sides!
I had never experienced this before. So over the last 2 weeks I have done the following:
1) Made sure I drink plenty of water … loads!
2) Pump 2-3 times per day (I also need to get a surplus in the freezer for when I go back to work)
3) Eat lactation cookies. (they do help!)
Now I originally purchased some Boobie Bikkies which were great and really worked! (my favourite is the Vanilla Bikkies) but I decided to try and make my own lactation biscuits also. You will need to take a trip to your local health food store and stock up on the ingredients.
So here is the tried and tested recipe
LACTATION COOKIES RECIPE
- 1 cup Plain Wholemeal Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup Organic Steel Cut Oats (can use Rolled Oats)
- 2 tablespoons Brewers Yeast (a MUST)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Linseed Meal (same as Flaxseed Meal)
- 1/2 cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (or Butter)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Essence
Dried Apricots (chopped small), Dates (pitted and chopped small), Shredded Coconut, Slithered Almonds, Peanuts (crushed or blended)
My favourite mixes are:
Apricot & Coconut / Date & Coconut / Sultana & Almond / Date & Peanut
- Cream the Coconut Oil (or Butter) and Sugar in a mixing bowl
- Add the Egg and Vanilla and mix well
- Add the Flour, Baking Powder, Oats, Brewers Yeast, Salt, Linseed Meal
- Add the Milk
- Add Extras as per your preference (I separate the mixture and make batches of the different flavours)
- Let the mixture sit for 10-20 minutes (to allow the Linseed and Oats to soak up the moisture). Add a small amount of water if the mixture seems too dry.
- To make the biscuits, place balls of the mixture on a lined baking tray and then flatten slightly with a spatula.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly browned on top